InstallShield has a lengthy list of pre-configured prerequisite that you can choose from. To select a prerequisite you simply check it in "Redistributables" view.
Sometimes however you need to deploy a prerequisite that InstallShield hasn't prepared for you. To accomplish that you create a prerequisite definition in "Prerequisite Editor" (Go to Tools->Prerequisite Editor) and it will add to the list.
Creating prerequisite can be divided into two phases:
- Determining whether or not the prerequisite should be deployed. For instance by checking if the prerequisite is already installed on the target machine
- Deploying the prerequisite (assuming the answer to the 1st phase was yes)
To determine whether or not a prerequisite should be deployed you perform tests on the target system.
InstallShield lets you test it by:
- Looking for the existence of a registry key
- Comparing the data of a registry value
- Comparing the data of a registry value assuming the data is a version string
- Testing for the existence of a file
- Searching for a given file with a specified date
- Searching for a given file file with a specified version
- Checking the OS version on the target machine